[ntp:questions] Befuddled and confused, again...

David Lord snews at lordynet.org
Sun Feb 14 21:19:06 UTC 2010

unruh wrote:
> On 2010-02-14, Dave Baxter <spam at goes.nowhere.com> wrote:
>> In article <_6ednYXJW52xiOXWnZ2dnUVZ_u2dnZ2d at supernews.com>,
>> lausts at acm.org says...

>>> A good move!
>>> Trimmed things a bit...
>> Hi Tom.
>>
>> All that I'm trying now, I have done successfully before, but for
>> whatever reason it doesnt want to fly now.  Not sure if my notes are
>> bad, DT's website, or the F-BSD docs are different now.
>>
>> I *Need* PPS support, as I have an app that needs mS accruacy.  See:-
>> http://www.dxatlas.com/Faros/  for details of what I have running, that
>> needs such data.   Plus, for whatever reason, my ISP (Demon/Thus/C&W)
>> seem unable to provide a stable NTP service these days.
>
> You do not need PPS support. Just use something like gpsd, and the shm
> refclock and you will get usec accuracy (not ms accuracy).

That might be a Linux specific feature of gpsd.

Man page mentions Linux version of gpsd detecting PPS on
serial DCD line otherwise best accuracy around 10ms.

On NetBSD I've only tried gpsd + shm with GlobalSat BR-304
and that doesn't have PPS out and couldn't get anything near
10ms from it having tried with large mindist and various
fudge times. It's on my todo list to try with the Garmin
gps-18x-LVC in case the PPS DCD support is working on NetBSD
to compare with using NMEA/PPS and NMEA + ATOM drivers.

David