[ntp:questions] Befuddled and confused, again...

unruh unruh at wormhole.physics.ubc.ca
Sun Feb 14 23:41:49 UTC 2010

On 2010-02-14, David Lord <snews at lordynet.org> wrote:
> unruh wrote:
>> On 2010-02-14, Dave Baxter <spam at goes.nowhere.com> wrote:
>>> In article <_6ednYXJW52xiOXWnZ2dnUVZ_u2dnZ2d at supernews.com>,
>>> lausts at acm.org says...

>>> Hi Tom.
>>>
>>> All that I'm trying now, I have done successfully before, but for
>>> whatever reason it doesnt want to fly now.  Not sure if my notes are
>>> bad, DT's website, or the F-BSD docs are different now.
>>>
>>> I *Need* PPS support, as I have an app that needs mS accruacy.  See:-
>>> http://www.dxatlas.com/Faros/  for details of what I have running, that
>>> needs such data.   Plus, for whatever reason, my ISP (Demon/Thus/C&W)
>>> seem unable to provide a stable NTP service these days.
>>
>> You do not need PPS support. Just use something like gpsd, and the shm
>> refclock and you will get usec accuracy (not ms accuracy).
>
> That might be a Linux specific feature of gpsd.
>
> Man page mentions Linux version of gpsd detecting PPS on
> serial DCD line otherwise best accuracy around 10ms.
>
> On NetBSD I've only tried gpsd + shm with GlobalSat BR-304
> and that doesn't have PPS out and couldn't get anything near
> 10ms from it having tried with large mindist and various
> fudge times. It's on my todo list to try with the Garmin
> gps-18x-LVC in case the PPS DCD support is working on NetBSD
> to compare with using NMEA/PPS and NMEA + ATOM drivers.

There is also the shmpps program, which detects pps either on the serial
or the parallel port and uses the shm driver to deliver the time offset.
Something else is needed to determine the "seconds" while shmpps
determines the usec using the serial or parallel port interrupt drivers.

I do not know if shmpps works out the box on Freebsd, but it should not
be hard to adapt, assuming bsd supports the shm refclock driver.