[ntp:questions] Befuddled and confused, again...

David Lord snews at lordynet.org
Tue Feb 16 10:05:15 UTC 2010

David Woolley wrote:
> David Lord wrote:
>>
>> Systems seem heavily overloaded.
>>
>> My 3G mobile broadband has seconds of latency whilst initiating
>> connections, that is how the system works, maybe 10 seconds, but
>
> That's likely to be result of the power management design, not of overload.

No, connection is already established, PPP is already up and
routing all setup. Possibly ssh connected but no traffic.

Keepalive pings would probably help solve delayed initial
bothered.

> Firstly, mobile phone never transmit completely uninvited.
>
> Secondly any one phone is only addressed at intervals. In terms of
> received calls, this means that the phone can go into a very low power
> mode for the rest of the time.  In terms of originate calls, it means
> the phone has to wait its turn before it can send the call request.

I understood it's time to setup the connection at the cell which
parks connection on 3G and when traffic starts to flow will
move up to 3G+ depending on load on cell. My adsl peaks at and
can maintain 2Mbit/s whilst mobile broadband here, when working
well peaks at > 3Mbit/s and averages maybe 1.5Mbit/s.

David