[ntp:questions] 2036 rollover

David Mills mills at udel.edu
Tue Feb 16 19:28:43 UTC 2010

jt.

As stated in the online white papers, as reported in the new book
edition and confirmed by actual experiment, if the NTP clock is set
within 68 years of UTC time, it will synchronized correctly, even if the
correction spans a rolloever epoch. However, this requires means to
convert UTC time to NTP era and timestamp format, and those Unix systems
known to me will rollover themselves in 2038, unless something is done
about it.