[ntp:questions] 2036 rollover

Richard B. Gilbert rgilbert88 at comcast.net
Tue Feb 16 20:14:25 UTC 2010

jt wrote:
> Hello everybody,
>
> I would like to be sure that all the systems synchronised by the ntp
> servers on the LAN won't encounter problem due to the NTP timestamp
> rollover in 2036.

AFAIK NTP has NO problem with the year 2036!

There is a problem with some elderly Unix or Unix-like systems that
store time as a thirty-two bit count of seconds since 00:00 January 1, 1970.

I believe that most have been fixed to use a 64 bit counter which will
last for a while longer.

If the software you are using has been "fixed" the fix should be
documented somewhere.  Since you haven't mentioned any specific hardware
and/or software it's difficult to provide any more specific answers than
I have done above.

<snip>