[ntp:questions] National time standard differences

Hal Murray hal-usenet at ip-64-139-1-69.sjc.megapath.net
Fri Feb 19 18:01:59 UTC 2010

>Bender claims that the GPS engineers did not believe that GR was real,
>and had a software switch which they could use to eliminate the General
>Rel corrections in the GPS.

Does anybody have a good URL for that?

I've heard it before, but it's so crazy that it seems more like
a good urban legend.

My best guess is that the switch was there so they could run
the experiment to test/verify relativity.  I think they ran without
the corrections for a few weeks and got wonderful data.