[ntp:questions] National time standard differences

David Mills mills at udel.edu
Fri Feb 19 18:51:16 UTC 2010

Hal,

They believe it now. From Chapter 13 in the new edition:

"A GPS clock moving at 3.882 km/s at an altitude of 20,135 km runs
slower than TCG by 7.2 microseconds per day due to time dilation and by
14.5 microseconds per day due to redshift. Since proper time comparisons
can only be done in a coordinate frame,

(GPS - TCG)ECI - (TT - TCG)ECI = GPS - TT

is the time of the GPS clock relative to the TT clock. Thus, the GPS
clock runs (14.5 + 7.2) - (60.0 + 0.1) = -38.4 microseconds per day
slower than the TT clock. The net rate 38 microseconds per day
“blueshift” is programmed in the spacecraft before launch."

The background is in a papers by Nelson, et al, and Pettit, and cited in
the book. However, the values shown above were independently verified by me.

Dave

Dave