[ntp:questions] Synchronization and Non-Synchronization status

Steve Kostecke kostecke at ntp.org
Sat Feb 20 02:39:24 UTC 2010

On 2010-02-20, Jaiprabhu <jaiprabhu at somewhere.in.this.world> wrote:
> Steve Kostecke wrote:
>>
>> ntpd already provides a trap mechanism for sending out event
>> information. There is an implementation of a trap client in the
>> ./scripts directory of the distribution.
>
> The trap utility would not be very usable for me. For one thing we do
> not have perl on the systems we are working with.

That's a bit defeatist, don't you think?

Why not look at the perl trap client provided in the scripts directory
as a prototype for implementing a trap client in a language available on
yout target systems.

> Secondly, and please correct me if I am wrong, I am not sure that it
> actually generates a trap for a sync lost kind of event.

You should test the trap system to see what information it provides and
if that information is what you need.

--
Steve Kostecke <kostecke at ntp.org>