[ntp:questions] Tutorial for setting up Garmin 18 LVC on FreeBSD 8.0

Thomas Laus lausts at acm.org
Mon Feb 22 14:03:46 UTC 2010

On 2010-02-22, ryandoyle <rd at ryandoyle.net> wrote:
> For anyone interested in setting up a Garmin 18 LVC GPS receiver on
> FreeBSD 8, I wrote up a fairly detailed tutorial of my experiences
> here: http://blog.doylenet.net/?p=145
>
> If there are any comments or errors, please let me know

My comments are all on your FreeBSD configuration.  I believe that the
FreeBSD base version of ntp is the same one that you installed from the
port system.  That seemed a little redundant.  That version is much
older than the /usr/ports/net/ntp-devel version.  The development
version is very well tested and debugged by the time that the maintainer
commits it to the ports system.  The reference clock support is probably
the one area of NTP that is continuously being evolved.  Someone with a
Garmin 18 problem that asks a question to this group is most likely
asked to install the development version to see if the problem is still
present.  Configuring the min and max poll for a reference clock sort of
goes against the grain of how ntp is supposed to work.  Let the daemon
adjust things according to how the clock is performing in relation to
the it's other sources of information.  It needs to have the maximum
degree of freedom in order to converge on the best solution!

Most admins cringe at the thought of allowing root logins from any
location other than the local console.  The better advice is to create
another user on your BSD computer and put them into the 'wheel' group.
That user can use SSH from anywhere and 'su' to gain root privleges.
Better yet, is to install the 'sudo' port and that user never needs to
know the root password!

You don't need to install either bash or vim in order to successfully
install and operate ntp.  The default shell on FreeBSD and the vi editor
are more than sufficient.

I'll let the Garmin wizards comment on that part of the instruction.

Tom

--
Public Keys:
PGP KeyID = 0x5F22FDC1