[ntp:questions] Tutorial for setting up Garmin 18 LVC on FreeBSD 8.0

ryandoyle rd at ryandoyle.net
Mon Feb 22 15:04:48 UTC 2010

On Feb 23, 1:03 am, Thomas Laus <lau... at acm.org> wrote:
> On 2010-02-22, ryandoyle <r... at ryandoyle.net> wrote:> For anyone interested in setting up a Garmin 18 LVC GPS receiver on
> > FreeBSD 8, I wrote up a fairly detailed tutorial of my experiences
> > here:http://blog.doylenet.net/?p=145
>
> > If there are any comments or errors, please let me know

Thank you for your comments.

> My comments are all on your FreeBSD configuration.  I believe that the
> FreeBSD base version of ntp is the same one that you installed from the
> port system.  That seemed a little redundant.  That version is much
> older than the /usr/ports/net/ntp-devel version.  The development
> version is very well tested and debugged by the time that the maintainer
> commits it to the ports system.  The reference clock support is probably
> the one area of NTP that is continuously being evolved.  Someone with a
> Garmin 18 problem that asks a question to this group is most likely
> asked to install the development version to see if the problem is still
> present.  Configuring the min and max poll for a reference clock sort of
> goes against the grain of how ntp is supposed to work.  Let the daemon
> adjust things according to how the clock is performing in relation to
> the it's other sources of information.  It needs to have the maximum
> degree of freedom in order to converge on the best solution!

All the sample ntp.conf files had max and mix poll configured, I was
just following these. Should these not be entered? Thanks for the info
on the ntp-devel port.

> Most admins cringe at the thought of allowing root logins from any
> location other than the local console.  The better advice is to create
> another user on your BSD computer and put them into the 'wheel' group.
> That user can use SSH from anywhere and 'su' to gain root privleges.
> Better yet, is to install the 'sudo' port and that user never needs to
> know the root password!

I also agree, I guess it is the responsibility of the user to know the
implications of either way.

> You don't need to install either bash or vim in order to successfully
> install and operate ntp.  The default shell on FreeBSD and the vi editor
> are more than sufficient.

I could have left this out, but I chose to include it as bash makes
the average Linux user feel more at home. A bit of bash and vim with
Linux-like bindings and no one will even notice you are using FreeBSD!
But yes, definitely don't _need_ bash or vim to run ntp.