[ntp:questions] Tutorial for setting up Garmin 18 LVC on FreeBSD 8.0

Thomas Laus lausts at acm.org
Mon Feb 22 16:08:29 UTC 2010

On 2010-02-22, ryandoyle <rd at ryandoyle.net> wrote:

> All the sample ntp.conf files had max and mix poll configured, I was
> just following these. Should these not be entered? Thanks for the info
> on the ntp-devel port.

If the ntp-dev port is used instead of the one that is included in the
base software, the startup script in /etc/rc.conf will need to be
changed to point at /usr/local/bin instead of the location of ntpd
listed in the base installation.  FreeBSD always installs port software
in the /usr/local directories and puts base software in /usr/bin,
/usr/sbin.  There have been questions sent to this group from
inexperienced FreeBSD users that have built ntp from a port and still
see the base version of ntpd running.  The /etc/rc.conf file requires
changing the location of the ntp installation to /usr/local/bin.

Min and max polling rates should not be entered unless you have a
specific problem that will be solved by changing them from the default
of letting ntpd set them dynamically.

> I also agree, I guess it is the responsibility of the user to know the
> implications of either way.

You should state this in your writeup.  Someone new to FreeBSD could be
using your instructions as a cookbook recipe.  The deviations from the
default and best practice defaults should have an explaination of the
benefits and tradeoffs of doing something.

> I could have left this out, but I chose to include it as bash makes
> the average Linux user feel more at home. A bit of bash and vim with
> Linux-like bindings and no one will even notice you are using FreeBSD!
> But yes, definitely don't _need_ bash or vim to run ntp.

Another good point is to get ntp and the reference clock playing well
together from the local console with the minimum configuration files
before adding all of the 'restrict....' flags that you see in most of
the Internet writeups.  Adding them without knowing what they all mean
spells disaster for someone new to FreeBSD and ntp.  Your writeup on how
to integrate ntp with FreeBSD is good and can be used by someone comming
from more than a Linux background.  There are a lot more operating
systems 'in the wild' than Windows, Linux and 'BSD'.  Making your
writeup less 'Linux-like' might also help the VMS, QNX, OS9 and Amiga guy.

Tom
--
Public Keys:
PGP KeyID = 0x5F22FDC1