[ntp:questions] Tutorial for setting up Garmin 18 LVC on FreeBSD 8.0

Thomas Laus lausts at acm.org
Mon Feb 22 18:11:27 UTC 2010

On 2010-02-22, Terje Mathisen <"terje.mathisen at tmsw.no"> wrote:
> ryandoyle wrote:
>
> You might consider trying a bleeding edge (dev tree) version of ntpd,
> directly from ntp.org, instead of the ports version:

That is not a good idea on Freebsd to not use the ports system,
especially for someone writing a 'how-to' for someone new to the OS and
trying to make a reference clock play well with his new OS.  There are
FreeBSD specific patches to the tarball that gets downloaded from the
archives at ntp.org.  The ntp-dev port has these patches and was tested
by the port maintainer to work well enough to get committed to the
repository.

> You'll also need to get rid of the default ntp* executables in order for
> the new ones in /usr/local/* to be found.

Just point the /etc/rc.conf startup script entries for the location of
the executable in /usr/local/bin.  I suppose that the other utilities
that get installed with the port need to come first in the path search
order.  Modifying or creating an /etc/make.conf might be a little too
far along the learning curve for a newbie to the OS to not make the
default ntp programs as a part of making the rest of his 'world'.  I
usually leave the default ntp support binaries alone and just start the
development ntpd binary in /etc/rc.conf.  If something appears 'strange'
when issuing ntpq requests, I will try the command again with the
/usr/local prefix to see if something has been changed in the
development version of the program.

Tom

--
Public Keys: