[ntp:questions] splash around with ntp-dev in the pool

Evandro Menezes evandro at mailinator.com
Tue Feb 23 16:18:33 UTC 2010

On Feb 23, 4:48 am, Dave Hart <daveh... at gmail.com> wrote:
> All of this is how manycastclient is implemented today, this is just
> an extension of that to a different solicitation mechanism.
> manycastclient sends multicast NTP client mode packets and on receipt
> of unicast responses, configures a preemptible association.  pool now
> sends one unicast solicitation at a time, and reacts similarly to

I think that this is a terrific idea!  Some pool servers are rather
poor and false-tickers are not uncommon, not to mention those that are
offline.

I'd just suggest that interface disconnections should also provoke a
reassessment of the pool sources.  I'm thinking primarily of laptops,
but servers could also benefit from this in case one interface or
router goes dead and the another interface goes trough a quite
different route.

TIA