[ntp:questions] [Gpsd-users] ntpd and gpsd 2.90

Yan Seiner yan at seiner.com
Thu Feb 25 23:59:58 UTC 2010

On Thu, February 25, 2010 11:48 pm, Gary E. Miller wrote:

> Yo Yan!
>
> On Thu, 25 Feb 2010, Yan Seiner wrote:
>
>> I'm struggling to get ntpd and gpsd 2.90 to play nice.
>
> It happens.
>
>> The API to gpsd
>> has changed, and I can't figure out how to get ntpd to talk to it.
>
> The API from gpsd to ntpd has NOT changed in 2.90.  2.90dev tweaked a
> bit to allow on-root gpsd to talk to root ntpd, but is not the issue here.
>
>> root at OpenWrt:~# ntpq -p
>>      remote           refid      st t when poll reach   delay   offset
>> jitter
>>  SHM(0)          .PPS.            0 l    -   16    0    0.000    0.000
>> 0.000
>>  SHM(1)          .PPS.            0 l    -   16    0    0.000    0.000
>
> Ah, that looks wrong.  The SHM(0) PPS should be GPS and the SHM(1) should
> be GPS1. The rewfid is how the client and server of the shm find each
> other.
>
>> the right stuff seems to be in /proc
>
> Nope, wrong key there too.
>
>> My ntp.conf file:
>
> Ah, the core problem.
>
>> # SMA PPS
>> server 127.127.28.0 minpoll 4
>> fudge 127.127.28.0 refid PPS flag3 1
>                            ^^^
>
> PPS -> GPS
>
>> server 127.127.28.1 minpoll 4 prefer
>> fudge 127.127.28.1 refid PPS flag3 1
>                            ^^^
>
> PPS-> GPS1
>
> refid's must be unique and match between ntpd and the client (in this
> case gpsd).  gpsd has fixed them to GPS and GPS1 (when run as root).

HAH!  Thanks!  I'll test this sometime soon (I'll be packing for a
backpacking trip tonite and I'll be sitting on top of a mountain in your
neck of the woods this weekend so it may not be until next week.)

If that works, I'll file a bug report against OpenWRT as it's their config
file that's broken.

--Yan

--
If you have eight hours to chop down a tree
spend six sharpening your axe.