[ntp:questions] Is dispersion > jitter in all situations

B bertil84 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 4 15:30:26 UTC 2010

Hi, this really concerns me!

An indicator of expecting time is important and I know about the error
bounds, but I want to use a value(jitter) as
an indicator of the expecting time relative offset. The jitter isn't
introduced before NTPv4
and where I am doing my master thesis they are using NTPv3(RFC-1305).

Is it possible to use dispersion relative offset as an indicator of
expecting time?

My idea, peer.dispersion represents the maximum error in offset and
maximum error of half the roundtrip delay. If dispersion is bigger
than jitter, ie jitter is bounded by dispersion, then dispersion could
be used as an indicator of expecting time relative offset.

Any guidance in this is appreciated?

Best regards