[ntp:questions] Client doesn't drop failed source

Mr. James W. Laferriere babydr at baby-dragons.com
Sat Jan 9 03:34:11 UTC 2010

 	Hello Richard ,

On Fri, 8 Jan 2010, Richard B. Gilbert wrote:
> Michael Moroney wrote:
>> David Woolley <david at ex.djwhome.demon.invalid> writes:

>>> * and + mean they are used, not just that they are usable.  The time used
>>> to discipline the clock is a weighted average of all of them.
>>
>> If it uses all of them, what is the difference between "*" and "+"?
>> It still doesn't explain why the disconnected clock doesn't get dropped.
>>

> "*" designates the primary source of time.  "+" designates an "advisory"
> source.  It's available for use if something happens to the primary source.
>
> See Dave Mills' book on NTP, and RFC-1305.  RFC-1305 is for V3 of NTP.
> There's an RFC in preparation for V4 but as of the last time I heard it was
> being written by a committee and may be released sometime in the next decade!

 	http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~mills/ntp/html/ntpdc.html

 	To Quote:
"
peers
     Obtains a list of peers for which the server is maintaining state, along
with a summary of that state. Summary information includes the address of the
remote peer, the local interface address (0.0.0.0 if a local address has yet to
be determined), the stratum of the remote peer (a stratum of 16 indicates the
remote peer is unsynchronized), the polling interval, in seconds, the
reachability register, in octal, and the current estimated delay, offset and
dispersion of the peer, all in seconds.

     The character in the left margin indicates the mode this peer entry is
operating in. A + denotes symmetric active, a - indicates symmetric passive, a =
means the remote server is being polled in client mode, a ^ indicates that the
server is broadcasting to this address, a ~ denotes that the remote peer is
sending broadcasts and a * marks the peer the server is currently synchronizing
to.

     The contents of the host field may be one of four forms. It may be a host
name, an IP address, a reference clock implementation name with its parameter or
REFCLK(implementation number, parameter). On hostnames no only IP-addresses will
be displayed.
"
 		Hth ,  JimL
| James   W.   Laferriere | System    Techniques | Give me VMS     |
| Network&System Engineer | 3237     Holden Road |  Give me Linux  |
| babydr at baby-dragons.com | Fairbanks, AK. 99709 |   only  on  AXP |