[ntp:questions] help with setting up NTP on windows with a USB GPS

Dave Baxter g8kbv at uko2.co.uk
Tue Jan 12 02:47:29 UTC 2010

In article <mZAPm.9055$Ym4.4115 at text.news.virginmedia.com>, david-
taylor at blueyonder.not-this-bit.nor-this-part.co.uk.invalid says...

> "jack" <> wrote in message
> news:c9339bbd-a773-44dc-92af-261308e3e284 at 31g2000vbf.googlegroups.com...
> > David,
> >
> > I read instructions on your web site especially the section on USB GPS
> > receivers. Version 4.2.4 dated March 15 2009 is the latest on Dave
> > Hart's website. Why do you get 4.2.5 from?
> >
> > jack
>
> Jack,
>
> Sorry for any confustion.  On this page:
>
>   http://www.satsignal.eu/ntp/NTP-on-Windows-serial-port.html#usb
>
> it says: "Tested with Dave Hart's: ntpd 4.2.5p161...".  There are a
> variety of 4.2.5 development versions here.  I would normally go for the
> most recent.
>
>   http://www.davehart.net/ntp/win/x86/
>
>   http://www.davehart.net/ntp/win/x86/ntp-4.2.5p246-RC-win-x86-bin.zip
>
> My thanks to Dave for making these Windows versions available for testing.
>
> Cheers,
> David

Hi.

I'm also trying to get this working, haveing failed miserably with the
FreeBSD system (it would never seem to respond to the GPS, and as I
don't know squat about 'BSD, decided to revert to Winders...)

Anyway, I have a working install of the Meinberg NTPD Windows port on
Win2k, and it is sync'ing OK to online servers, but they are the trouble
I'm trying to get round, due to variable and huge BT/ISP induced
latency, screwing arround with NTP during the weekday, that I use with
"Faros" a HF Radio propagation beacon monitor.

Long story short, I'm trying to put together a Stratum 1 time server for
my LAN only, maybe even on the same physical PC as Faros.

I had (killed it now) a version of the patched serial.sys for PPS
support, but it BSOD'd the machine at boot time (black screen) needing a
physical removal of the hard drive, and temporary fitment into another
PC to put the original file back.

At present, I can't find a ready-to-use binary of that file.  Dave
Hart's site befuddles me, all I can see there is a *Huge* collection of
files, what file do I need and where from, exactly please.?

I have a Garmin GPS16LVC with PPS output.  (Two of them, both work fine
AFAICS, with VisualGPS and a 'scope looking at the PPS signal, that
needed buffering to RS232 levels.)

Comments, hints?

Regards
Dave Baxter.