[ntp:questions] Date Jumped

David Woolley david at ex.djwhome.demon.invalid
Wed Jan 13 07:29:55 UTC 2010

Maynard wrote:
> On 1/7/10, the date on our domain controller jumped to 12/7/10, and

NTP doesn use day/month/year dates, and nor does Unix.  A one digit
change in a human readable date implies a human error or a misread of a
reference clock that uses human format times.

> was there for about 11 minutes before it reverted back to the current
> date.  At the time this happened, our NTP server was pointed to
> pool.ntp.org.  We also have a few Novell servers that were pointed to

How many distinct pool.ntp.org servers were you using.  ntpd needs
multiple, independent, servers, if it is to identify false tickers.

> the same IP addresses as our Server 2003 Domain Controller, and the

If DNS is working properly, you should have different IP addresses used
by each client for their servers.