[ntp:questions] Date Jumped

unruh unruh at wormhole.physics.ubc.ca
Wed Jan 13 16:59:48 UTC 2010

On 2010-01-13, Matt Nordhoff <mnordhoff at mattnordhoff.com> wrote:
> Maynard wrote:
>> On 1/7/10, the date on our domain controller jumped to 12/7/10, and
>> was there for about 11 minutes before it reverted back to the current
>> date.  At the time this happened, our NTP server was pointed to
>> pool.ntp.org.  We also have a few Novell servers that were pointed to
>> the same IP addresses as our Server 2003 Domain Controller, and the
>> NTP server for our Novell network also jumped ahead.  Are we the only
>> ones that had this issue on this day?  Or are there others out there
>> that experienced the same problem on the 7th.  Thanks
>
> Hold on a second... Supposing you only use 1 NTP server, and it somehow
> winds up 11 months off (which is unlikely), wouldn't your NTP client
> freak out and exit because it's way over the 1000 second limit?

It should.
It is also possible that they had a problem with their /etc/localtime
file (ie the date on their system) such that the system clock was fine,
but the translation routine from the system clock to the local time was
bad.
they should look at their ntp log files to see if there really was a
jump of 11 months in the offset.