[ntp:questions] ntpd and database servers

nodata lsof at nodata.co.uk
Thu Jan 14 22:01:07 UTC 2010

Am 2010-01-14 20:38, schrieb Rob:
> You could stop ntpd, and then use the adjtimex program to set the
> clock rate to a slower value, so that the systems will lose time.
> (using the --tick option)
> Calculate how long it is going to take to arrive at the correct time
> using the setting you decide on, and then come back to the system
> (probably put an alert in your electronic calender) to check that the
> time is slightly behind correct time.
> Then reset the adjtimex setting to the normal rate and restart ntpd.
> It will probably jump forward a little at that moment but that should
> not matter.

Thanks for this.

Would you mind explaining the link between CONFIG_HZ and the tick value?
The example in the man page is not clear (it uses the same tick value as
I have on a CONFIG_HZ=1000 box). Is the statement "Increasing val by 1
speeds up the system clock by about 100 ppm, or 8.64 sec/day." always
true, whatever the CONFIG_HZ value?