[ntp:questions] Configure ntpd listen address

Richard B. Gilbert rgilbert88 at comcast.net
Thu Jan 14 22:03:27 UTC 2010

Kenny Colliander wrote:
> Hi,
>

> I'm wondering if it's possible to configure ntpd to listen to a specific
> IP-address and if it is possible to specify source address for outgoing
> connections?

It's certainly possible to have ntpd listen to a specific IP-address.  A
great many of us do so.

I'm not sure what you mean by "specify source address for outgoing
connections"!  If you are talking about using IP addresses for external
NTP servers, once again it's possible and many of us do so.

> Reason: We are using multihomed servers as time servers, and we don't
> want to open NTP for all IP-addresses in our firewall.

You will need to open port 123 for each external server you wish to use.
If a server has and uses multiple IP addresses, it's a little more
complicated if you need to use more than one of those addresses.

<snip>