[ntp:questions] ntpd and database servers

David Woolley david at ex.djwhome.demon.invalid
Fri Jan 15 07:40:25 UTC 2010

unruh wrote:
> man adjtimes
>
>   -t val, --tick val
>               Set the number of microseconds that should be added to the
>                system time for each kernel tick interrupt.  For a kernel with

 From previous replies, it looks like recent Linux versions and that for
the OP's unnamed OS, violate this description.

Linux 2.4, internally and at the API used by this utiilty, does obey the
description that you quote.

My guess is that there is has been some dumbing down of the naive user
interface, or that tickless kernels mean that microseconds per tick is
no longer a meaningful concept.