[ntp:questions] ntpd and database servers

David Woolley david at ex.djwhome.demon.invalid
Fri Jan 15 08:47:28 UTC 2010

nodata wrote:

> *confused* What does a 2.6 tickless kernel do?

It sets the hardware timer only to interrupt when the next event has
been scheduled to occur, rather than at a constant rate.  I believe it
also uses heuristics to consolidate timer events, so that multiple
events can be handled on each interrupt, even if they have slightly
different due times.

I don't believe that ntpd will work on a tickless kernel build, at least
not when using the more accurate kernel time discipilne.