[ntp:questions] NTP servers redundancy

Rob nomail at example.com
Tue Jan 19 21:57:43 UTC 2010

Hal Murray <hal-usenet at ip-64-139-1-69.sjc.megapath.net> wrote:
> The problem is that IF they give wildly different answers
> (perhaps because one of them is broken) THEN you don't know
> which one is good.

As they say here: IF the sky falls down THEN we all have a blue hat.

Compare it with a RAID-1 disk system.  When one disk has an unreadable
sector, the situation is clear: use the sector from the other disk.
When both disks are readable but return different data, you cannot know
which one is correct.

This normally is solved by not checking for that condition, rather than
to use 3 disks and a majority vote (which still could disagree between
all 3 disks).