[ntp:questions] Date Jumped

Danny Mayer mayer at ntp.org
Sat Jan 23 21:09:06 UTC 2010

Rob wrote:
> Maynard <maynard7fold at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 1/7/10, the date on our domain controller jumped to 12/7/10, and
>> was there for about 11 minutes before it reverted back to the current
>> date.  At the time this happened, our NTP server was pointed to
>> pool.ntp.org.  We also have a few Novell servers that were pointed to
>> the same IP addresses as our Server 2003 Domain Controller, and the
>> NTP server for our Novell network also jumped ahead.  Are we the only
>> ones that had this issue on this day?  Or are there others out there
>> that experienced the same problem on the 7th.  Thanks
>
> This can happen any time.  pool.ntp.org is a large collection of
> servers that joined a voluntary pool of servers.  Any single server
> in this pool can send the wrong date and time if it likes to, or if
> there is an error.

No, this can never happen. The only time the time can be set by a large
amount is the first time it is synchronized and the -g option is used on
the command line. Once set the clock cannot be stepped more than a very
small amount. Months is impossible. Someone with privileges changed the
clock, realised his or her mistake and changed it back.

Danny

believed to be clean.