[ntp:questions] Simple but good NTP server (was: Re: Timekeeping broken on Windows XP with multimedia timer enabled (-M option))

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.delete-this-bit.and-this-part.co.uk.invalid
Mon Jan 25 09:35:08 UTC 2010

"Uwe Klein" <uwe_klein_habertwedt at t-online.de> wrote in message
news:r91037-grd.ln1 at klein-habertwedt.de...
> David J Taylor wrote:
[]
>> I would still very much like to have a low-powered (watts) system
>> running NTP perhaps with a good (for timekeeping) FreeBSD version.
>> Something the size of a home router, with a serial port for the GPS.
>> Looking for better than (say) ten microsecond accuracy.  About US
>> $100-150.
>>
> Unpack and Work or Fiddle a Bit ?
>
> For Fiddle a Bit:
> There is a wide spectrum of hardware available.
> Take any of the Low Cost Thin clients ( Linux on ARM )
> Take any of the "InternetRadio" sets ( same, Linux on ARM )
>
> Take any of the Low Cost Router/WlanAccessPoint Hardware that
> can have OpenWRT or similar installed. ( Linux on usually ARM )
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_router_or_firewall_distributions
> Some even have ntpd in their package repository ;-)
>
> uwe

Thanks for that, Uwe.  Ideally, unpack and work!

A lot of hardware either doesn't have the serial port, or is grossly
over-priced (as it may be intended for "industrial" applications).

I think I would want a ready-to-run NTP, as I don't "do" Linux.  Something
configurable via a Web interface.

Routers would indeed be a good choice, but there are hundreds!  Someone
must have already researched the possibilities and be able to advise
models with a serial port and quality NTP?

Cheers,
David