[ntp:questions] Simple but good NTP server

David Lord snews at lordynet.org
Mon Jan 25 15:07:35 UTC 2010

David J Taylor wrote:

> "Uwe Klein" <uwe_klein_habertwedt at t-online.de> wrote in message
> news:r91037-grd.ln1 at klein-habertwedt.de...
>> David J Taylor wrote:
> []
>>> I would still very much like to have a low-powered (watts) system
>>> running NTP perhaps with a good (for timekeeping) FreeBSD version.
>>> Something the size of a home router, with a serial port for the GPS.
>>> Looking for better than (say) ten microsecond accuracy.  About US
>>> $100-150.
>>>
>> Unpack and Work or Fiddle a Bit ?
>>
>> For Fiddle a Bit:
>> There is a wide spectrum of hardware available.
>> Take any of the Low Cost Thin clients ( Linux on ARM )
>> Take any of the "InternetRadio" sets ( same, Linux on ARM )
>>
>> Take any of the Low Cost Router/WlanAccessPoint Hardware that
>> can have OpenWRT or similar installed. ( Linux on usually ARM )
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_router_or_firewall_distributions
>> Some even have ntpd in their package repository ;-)
>>
>> uwe
>
> Thanks for that, Uwe.  Ideally, unpack and work!
>
> A lot of hardware either doesn't have the serial port, or is grossly
> over-priced (as it may be intended for "industrial" applications).
>
> I think I would want a ready-to-run NTP, as I don't "do" Linux.
> Something configurable via a Web interface.
>
> Routers would indeed be a good choice, but there are hundreds!  Someone
> must have already researched the possibilities and be able to advise
> models with a serial port and quality NTP?

Not yet using this but have a 20 quid+vat router type board here
from Omnima.co.uk that has ADM5120P chip, wan + 4xlan ethernet,
2xusb but serial need some wiring. Will run Linux and can be
supplied with Squidge on CD, also for me will run NetBSD. Bit on
top end for power

There's also an ARM based device for under 30quid that will run
from power via USB connection, but wouldn't be as easy to get
going for what I need although with more onboard flash and ram.
Google for "bifferboard"

! Bifferboard. 150MHz CPU, Intel 486SX instruction set,
! MMU. 1 watt power consumption (200mA @5v);
! 68mm x 28mm x 21mm (weight 28g); 32MB SDRAM/8MB Flash

I was worried that SX might be npu deficient and may cause
problems. Both my 486sx have addon 486dx for npu.

David