[ntp:questions] Simple but good NTP server

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.delete-this-bit.and-this-part.co.uk.invalid
Mon Jan 25 16:03:21 UTC 2010

"Richard B. Gilbert" <rgilbert88 at comcast.net> wrote in message
news:e-OdnZ0OpZrLJsDWnZ2dnUVZ_tGdnZ2d at giganews.com...
[]
> Routers usually do not make good GPS clocks!  If they are functioning as
> routers they have work to do and time keeping is not a priority.

Indeed!  I was thinking of the router just as a source of low-cost, ready
to run hardware, with a completely different OS.

> Used computers (X86) are available for free if you don't mind "dumpster
> diving" for them.  You can run Solaris on one.  Solaris, is not Linux
> but it looks like Linux and uses something close to the Linux command
> line interface.  You may find that it's better documented than Linux.
>
> It's a commercial O/S and supported by the vendor.  Support, if you need
> it, will cost you money.

I already have a FreeBSD PC which I would run, but I wanted a much lower
power, and small form factor device.

> If your objection to Linux is based on the user interface and/or the
> libraries and tools you are probably "SOL"; the only viable alternative
> is some flavor of Windows!

I have no objection to Linux as such (although I read that FreeBSD may be
better), just that I am very unfamiliar with it, hence would most likely
need a pre-built OS.  If loading the OS is a matter of FTP from Windows,
or were configuring the OS a matter of using a Web-style interface to the
box, I could comfortably manage that.  I /did/ use the command-line when
setting up the FreeBSD box, and I could certainly follow instructions for
that.

> NTP is pretty much the same no matter what platform you run it on.  The
> O/S vendor may add a coat of paint or some bells and whistles but that's
> probably the ONLY difference.

Fair enough, Richard.  Interesting to have your thoughts.

Cheers,
David