[ntp:questions] Simple but good NTP server

Richard B. Gilbert rgilbert88 at comcast.net
Tue Jan 26 02:15:01 UTC 2010

John Hasler wrote:
> Richard B. Gilbert writes:
>> Routers usually do not make good GPS clocks!  If they are functioning
>> as routers they have work to do and time keeping is not a priority.
>
> I think the idea is to buy a router because it is cheap hardware but to
> use it only to run NTP.

If you are talking about REAL routers, they are not cheap.  If you are
talking about SOHO routers such as sold by LinkSys they are cheap enough
but building NTPD to run on one might be fairly difficult.

Just about any PC built in the last ten years should be able to run
Solaris or Linux and serve time using a GPS reference clock.