[ntp:questions] ntpd and database servers

John Hasler jhasler at newsguy.com
Thu Jan 28 23:45:53 UTC 2010

David Woolley writes:
> If the root time is UTC.  NTP time will be approximately UTC.  The
> error should be less than the root distance, but one cannot be more
> certain that that.

I think his idea is that Ntpd should give out the time it is slewing
towards rather than its current time.  Thus it would compute the time
it would be giving out had it made a step instead of slewing and then
give out that time while it slews.  Aside from the implementation
difficulties, that could lead to the server and its clients using
substantially different times during the slew.
--
John Hasler
jhasler at newsguy.com
Dancing Horse Hill