[ntp:questions] Client doesn't drop failed source

Danny Mayer mayer at ntp.org
Sun Jan 31 05:10:29 UTC 2010

E-Mail Sent to this address will be added to the BlackLists wrote:
> David Woolley wrote:
>> Danny Mayer wrote:
>>> More importantly, TCP requires a 3-way handshake
>>>  before it can deliver the packet, so there is setup
>>>  time, delivery and tear-down time involved as well
>>>  just to deliver one small packet.
>> One wouldn't set up a TCP connection for each message!
>
> Really?
>
> I can perhaps see idling the connection to keep it open when the
>  poll rate is at ~ 1 minute, however what about when the poll
>  rate decreases to ~ 17 minutes? (or less often if so configured)

How many connections do you think it takes to overwelm a server? Even on
an idle connection TCP normally requires at least a minute of timeout
(lots of caveats, etc. here) but the server needs to drop these
connections as quickly as possible in order to get the next one. Don't
go there, there's a lot more going on under the hood than you seem to
realise from this response.

Danny

believed to be clean.