[ntp:questions] problem with "restrict default ignore"

J. Bakshi joydeep at infoservices.in
Fri Jul 30 07:11:20 UTC 2010

Hello list,

I like to secure my ntp daemon with "restrict default ignore" but ntp stops synchronizing with this configuration; though I have restrict lines for ntp servers. My ntp.conf is simple as below

``````````````````````````````
driftfile /var/lib/ntp/ntp.drift

server 0.asia.pool.ntp.org iburst dynamic
server 1.asia.pool.ntp.org iburst dynamic

restrict 192.168.1.0 mask 255.255.255.0 nomodify notrap
restrict default ignore
restrict 0.asia.pool.ntp.org  notrap noquery
restrict 1.asia.pool.ntp.org  notrap noquery
restrict 127.0.0.1

ntp starts working if I remove "restrict default ignore" . Is not the restrict lines with server
designed to work with "restrict default ignore" ? I am very much confused here, any clue please ?

Thanks