[ntp:questions] what happens when sys.peer turns stratum 16?

Kalle Pokki kalle.pokki at iki.fi
Tue Jun 1 06:18:18 UTC 2010

On Mon, May 31, 2010 at 22:14, Richard B. Gilbert
<rgilbert88 at comcast.net> wrote:

> The more common case is that a server fails due to something like a power
> outrage.  When the power comes back, that server may be off by several
> seconds, or minutes.  It may take ten to twelve hours before that server is
> fit to serve time to any but the truly desperate!

I don't think power outage can cause more than a small time jump and
some initial frequency error in clients. The server is in the ALARM
state quite long after it has started. The clients don't synchronize
to servers in this state. The ALARM state goes away only after the
server itself is somewhat synchronized to either its own servers or a
reference clock.