[ntp:questions] what happens when sys.peer turns stratum 16?

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk.invalid
Wed Jun 2 15:53:46 UTC 2010

"Miroslav Lichvar" <mlichvar at redhat.com> wrote in message
news:hu5osh$kc5$1 at speranza.aioe.org...
[]
> I couldn't find a description either, but it seems to work as expected.
> PPS is turned off when the sync is lost and turned on when a fix is
> back. It works only when the fix status is changed, i.e. the command
> itself doesn't change the PPS status.
>
> --
> Miroslav Lichvar

That's good news, Miroslav, thanks for the update.  I'm not sure how best
to use that.  If lock is lost for a long period then using an alternative
source would be better, even if that means only getting (for example)
millisecond accuracy.  But if the outage is just a few minutes, I wonder
whether the free-running PPS output might not be better than sync over the
Internet?  There may sense in leaving the PPS output running for a few
minutes if lock is lost and the PPS is the only precision source - what do
you think?

Cheers,
David