[ntp:questions] IA approved COTS NTP servers question

Greg Hennessy greg.hennessy at cox.net
Fri Jun 4 19:13:03 UTC 2010

On 2010-06-04, Fran <fran.horan at jhuapl.edu> wrote:
> On Jun 3, 4:49?pm, Greg Hennessy <greg.henne... at cox.net> wrote:
>> > Do you know of any DISA IA approved COTS NTP servers ?
>>
>> Why not use tick.usno.navy.mil or tock.usno.navy.mil? Only half a
>> smiley.
>
> Thats a funny one Greg, thanks!

On the serious side, if you are worried about having to follow DISA
STIGS, then it seems safe to assume you are on NIPR or SIPR nets, in
which case it is probably easier to use the USNO supplied time service
rather than recreating your own. If for redundancy you wish to run
your own NTP servers (which you should point to USNO since USNO is
what all DoD sources are *SUPPOSED* to be using), I'm not aware of any
COTS NTP servers that are DISA IA approved out of the box.