[ntp:questions] IA approved COTS NTP servers question

Terje Mathisen "terje.mathisen at tmsw.no" at ntp.org
Tue Jun 8 05:23:34 UTC 2010

Rick Jones wrote:
> Terje Mathisen<"terje.mathisen at tmsw.no">  wrote:
>> The easiest as well as cheapest might be to take the default FreeBSD
>> + Garmin GPS18 route: Total cost about $100 plus a few hours to
>> build/configure it.
>
>> The FreeBSD box don't need any open ports at all except 123 (the NTP
>> port), and you don't need any services either, so it can easily be
>> locked down.
>
>> (You can consider making an exception for ssh if you must have remote
>> management...)
>
> Easiest...  while it is certainly possible that procurement rules have
> changed since I was a summer intern at NRL '84-87 I suspect that
> "build your own" may not actually be easiest in the context of
> U.S. Government procurement and certification procedures :)

I did realize that, then considered the fact that the FreeBSD version is
pretty much the canonical ntpd target:

Running everything directly on the protocol's recommended platform, and
with source code for everything, would make it very easy to document
that the server is on spec.

OTOH, I have crashed head-on into some bureaucracies in my time, and it
hasn't always been possible to make them see the light. :-(

Terje
--
- <Terje.Mathisen at tmsw.no>