[ntp:questions] How should an NTP server fail?

David L. Mills mills at udel.edu
Wed Jun 9 23:56:18 UTC 2010

iroslav,

The tally code is updated when the selection algorithm runs at each
received update. The peer reach register is updated when a poll is sent.
If caught at just the right moment, it might happen that when a poll is
sent the reach register becomes zero and before the next update is
received, in which case your behavior is possible. Even in that rare
case there resulting behavior would not be incorrect, as the clock is
not updated untl the next update is received and the tally code
redetermined.

Dave