[ntp:questions] SNTP with 1ms of precision?

Marcelo Pimenta marcelopimentacs at gmail.com
Mon Jun 14 20:03:36 UTC 2010

Hi everybody!!

My question is about Time Accuracy of NTP/SNTP protocol. I want to know if
is possible to have precision of 1ms(could be < 1 ms?) using SNTP in a
network with 50 hosts(is the same with 100 hosts?) using only swithes, no
routing. All these hosts are syncronized with a Meinberg GPS. The traffic is
low(~25%). Is it possible to have the same time accuracy of IRIG-B for
example?

The internal clock in my devices(hosts) starts with the crystal frequence. A
typical offset or frequence tolerance of the crystal is less then
1ms/minute. The resolution is about 0.9ms and the devices acts as unicast
clients, asking GPS every minute.

Is it enough? The Time Accurancy could be better if I could ask GPS twice a
minute? A broadcast implementation with GPS sending time every minute could
help?

I know that these kind of issue have many variables but the main question
is: Is possible to have precision of 1ms(could be <1ms) with SNTP?

Thank you very much