[ntp:questions] SNTP with 1ms of precision?

Hal Murray hal-usenet at ip-64-139-1-69.sjc.megapath.net
Thu Jun 17 20:21:44 UTC 2010

In article <AANLkTil2JBpJ9P5eQFyKGNJeV8_eJr6ic_0CUODGFPhV at mail.gmail.com>,
 Marcelo Pimenta <marcelopimentacs at gmail.com> writes:

>I thought that SNTP was used in a kind of "Intranet" with no routers and no
>internet, so the low latency there is no need of so much calculations to
>adjust the clock.

I haven't been able to figure out what you are really trying to ask.

The packets on the wire are the same for NTP and SNTP.  The results
you will get will depend upon the hardware and software you are using.

If you have a good/reference server on your local LAN, it should
be reasonable to get the clock on a client to within 1 ms most of
the time.  I would expect occasional quirks.  How many would depend
mostly on the software you are using.  (If somebody is going to get
hurt or killed if your clock is off by more than 1 ms, you should
do something else.)

You should probably setup a test bed and see how well it actually works.