[ntp:questions] SNTP with 1ms of precision?

David Woolley david at ex.djwhome.demon.invalid
Thu Jun 17 22:11:14 UTC 2010

Steve Kostecke wrote:
> On 2010-06-17, Marcelo Pimenta <marcelopimentacs at gmail.com> wrote:

> Here's a snapshot of my "main" system showing an offset of 340us
> (0.340ms) from it's sys_peer over a switched GigE LAN ...

Which doesn't mean the error is .34 ms; it is quite likely less than
.1ms, assuming no systematic component.  Offset is an optimistic
estimate of what you would get with a time stepping SNTP.  The NTP PLL
smoothes out the offsets and provided the temperature is well
controlled, the software clock maintains rather more accurate time.