[ntp:questions] w32time

Ryan Malayter malayter at gmail.com
Fri Jun 18 13:06:52 UTC 2010

On Fri, Jun 18, 2010 at 5:34 AM, David J Taylor
<david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk.invalid> wrote:
>  Later
> versions (Server 2003 and later, I believe) had more NTP-like behaviour, but
> did not conform to the management protocols of NTP (so you can't check the
> offset), didn't use ntp.conf, couldn't be used as ref-clocks, and likely
> didn't conform in dozens of other respects.

None of these items are required parts of the NTP proptocol defined in
RFC 1305, so you cannot really fault Microsoft for not implementing
them. In fact, the only thing you mention even in present in the RFC
are NTP mode 6 control packets as part of Appendix B, and they are
very much optional. The RFC even specifically advises that they *not*
be used when other out-of-band management means are available (which
they are in Windows):

"Ordinarily, these functions can be implemented using a
network-management protocol such as SNMP and suitable extensions to the
MIB database. However, in those cases where such facilities are not
available, these functions can be implemented using special NTP control
messages described herein."

The configuration file format, reference clock support, etc. are
totally implementation-specific and not part of any standard. Making
an RFC-compliant NTP implementation does *not* mean "rewrite the
reference implementation, including all of its design decisions and
quirks."

--
RPM