[ntp:questions] SNTP with 1ms of precision?

Terje Mathisen "terje.mathisen at tmsw.no" at ntp.org
Mon Jun 21 16:02:17 UTC 2010

Marcelo Pimenta wrote:
> Yes!! My question is about ms(MILIsecond) a collegue of this forum said that
> NTP give nsec accurancy... Is impossible to have usec imagine nsec!

ns (as in less than us) is absolutely possible for NTP, but it cannot be
done over a network, you need a good deal of hardware support:

Poul-Henning Kemp has made several ntp servers where the local clock is
slaved to UTC with better than 100 ns precision:

To do so he needed to replace the motherboard crystal with an Rb
oscillator, use external hw to measure the interrupt latency and use a
timing-optimized GPS clock source.

Terje

--
- <Terje.Mathisen at tmsw.no>