[ntp:questions] Fwd: [ntpwg] RFC 5905 on Network Time Protocol Version 4: Protocol and Algorithms Specification

Chuck Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Thu Jun 24 17:16:34 UTC 2010

Hi--

On Jun 24, 2010, at 6:45 AM, pc wrote:
> The RFC unequivocally states that "A primary server is synchronized to a reference clock directly traceable to UTC."
>
> IMO, that is not a necessary condition.  If I have a hierarchy of NTP servers and clients with no external connection to the Internet and I feed in Northern Bongosooziland Spring Time (NBST) [ ... ]

If you are not connected to the Internet, then, by definition, you are free to decide that Internet RFCs need not apply to your situation.

[ However, it is almost always a good idea to try and follow the recommendations found in RFCs even when dealing with isolated networks-- people who are interested in keeping reliable time via computer networks are much better served by trying to sync to real time and avoid creating isolated time hierarchies which are unsynchronized with the outside world. ]

Regards,
--
-Chuck