[ntp:questions] Reference clock driver for /dev/rtc

David L. Mills mills at udel.edu
Mon Jun 28 17:29:49 UTC 2010

Miroslav,

Changing the value of  SHIFT_PLL from 4 to 2 makes the kernel discipline
behave quire differently than the daemon discipline. When switching from
one to the other, the result will be a serious transient. With a kernel
update interval of one second, this value violates the minimum delay
requirement of the feedback loop. The design was very carefully done
according to sound engineering theory and practice. The design insures
optimum rise time relative to the time constant along with a controlled
overshoot of about five percent. The change to SHIFT_PLL will compromise
the intended behavior. If you make changes like that, be sure someone is
around with knowledge of feedback control theory.

The frequency gain problem was reported some time ago and I provided a
simple fix which reduces the frequency gain by a factor of the square of
the ratio of the actual clock frequency to 100 Hz. It has nothing to do
with a tickless kernel.

The extra pole in the adjtime() emulation was reported to me some time
ago and might have since been removed. The result with the extra pole
will be underdamping at large poll intervals resulting in oscillatory
behavior. It is most serious where the adjtime() pole frequency is close
to the discipline poll frequency. If it makes any difference, SGI has
the same problem.

Linux users should be told the incompatibility with the
ntp_gettimeofday() call means the TAI-UTC offset feature provided by the
NIST leapseconds file and the Autokey protocol will be unavailable. This
is most important for NASA/JPL users when converting to and from UTC and
TAI and eventually to TDB for deep space missions.

Dave