[ntp:questions] Build failing

Dave Hart davehart at gmail.com
Mon Mar 1 18:58:43 UTC 2010

On Mar 1, 17:54 UTC, Gene Spafford wrote:
> >> I am building on a Sun under Solaris.  This is the output I get
> >> (captured via script):
>
> > The output is missing from the mail. What you see above is what the list
> > got, so there is not much we can say about the problem.
>
> The output was attached as a file, and apparently the mailer software striped it out. :-(
>
> I am enclosing the "typescript" file below.
>
> As best as I can tell, the autoconf thinks that a couple of the types aren't defined and then generates conflicting definitions for them.  This is because the int types on my machine are defined via <inttypes.h> and <sys/inttypes.h> and not <sys/types.h> which is the file that is checked for them.
> gcc -std=gnu99 -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I.. -I.. -D__EXTENSIONS__ -I/usr/local/ssl/include -g -O2 -Wall -Wcast-qual -Wmissing-prototypes -Wpointer-arith -Wshadow -Winit-self -Wno-strict-prototypes -MT libopts_la-libopts.lo -MD -MP -MF .deps/libopts_la-libopts.Tpo -c libopts.c -o libopts_la-libopts.o
> In file included from libopts.c:2:
> compat/compat.h:268: error: conflicting types for 'int8_t'
> /usr/include/sys/int_types.h:62: error: previous declaration of 'int8_t' was here
> In file included from libopts.c:2:
> compat/compat.h:299:5: #error Cannot create a uint32_t type.
> compat/compat.h:300: error: parse error before "Me"
> compat/compat.h:316: error: conflicting types for 'intptr_t'
> /usr/include/sys/int_types.h:110: error: previous declaration of 'intptr_t' was here
> compat/compat.h:337: error: conflicting types for 'pid_t'
> /pkgs/gcc/bin/../lib/gcc/sparc-sun-solaris2.8/3.4.3/include/sys/types.h:455 : error: previous declaration of 'pid_t' was here

This failure is while compiling libopts, a component of NTP provided
by Bruce Korb's Autogen package.  [1]

Generally Bruce has been very helpful providing fixes promptly when we
have tripped over similar issues in the past, and as a result we've
generally not maintained local patches to Autogen or libopts, but
waited for a fixed version and dropped it in unmodified.

I've cc'd Bruce, but you might also report the failure via the Autogen
issue tracker:

http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=add&group_id=3593&atid=103593

(linked from the main Autogen page)

Cheers,