[ntp:questions] nmea and initial large offset

unruh unruh at wormhole.physics.ubc.ca
Sat May 8 15:12:11 UTC 2010

On 2010-05-08, Richard B. Gilbert <rgilbert88 at comcast.net> wrote:

> Please feel free to install your own "fix" for the deficiencies you
> perceive in NTPD and see how well it keeps time.  I know, you want
> SOMEBODY ELSE to do the work!  There may not be anyone else!

I do. I run chrony, which is both far faster than ntpd at converging,
and is a factor of 3 (or more) more accurate than ntpd, and now also
supports some hardware clocks, and can correct for far higher clock
drifts than ntpd (unfortunately only on linux or bsd).
 You really sound like a bureaucrat-- It has always
been done this way and if it does not work for you, you are broken not
it.