[ntp:questions] nmea and initial large offset

Rob nomail at example.com
Sat May 8 17:45:33 UTC 2010

John Hasler <jhasler at newsguy.com> wrote:
> Rob writes:
>> I don't feel free to design those because I can anticipate that the
>> changes will be rejected and will not go into the distribution
>> version.
>
> Then use and contribute to Chrony.  We welcome contributions.  Why
> continue to criticize Ntpd if you feel that your suggestions will be
> ignored?

I think ntpd has a good number of features and advantages, and I only
wonder why nobody has yet decided to take the code and fork a version
that has some of the properties of chrony, and fixes some of the obvious
problems when being used in a different environment than the maintainer
envisioned.
(like embedded systems, where there is a need to set the initial time
without operator intervention)