[ntp:questions] nmea and initial large offset

John Hasler jhasler at newsguy.com
Sun May 9 12:30:01 UTC 2010

Richard B. Gilbert wrote:
> I suspect that faster convergence would carry a price such as large
> amplitude oscillation!

Chrony converges faster and doesn't oscillate.  I would like to see a
rigorous analysis of the algorithms used by Chrony, though.

> If you can't stand it, roll your own!

Richard Curnow did and we now have Chrony.

> You may find that it's far more difficult than you think!

It wasn't easy.

I really don't understand why Rob will neither switch to Chrony nor fork
Ntpd, since he is clearly dissatisfied and frustrated by Ntpd as it
stands.  Both these choices are open to him, as is writing his own
implementation from scratch.
--
John Hasler
jhasler at newsguy.com