[ntp:questions] nmea and initial large offset

unruh unruh at wormhole.physics.ubc.ca
Sun May 9 15:41:56 UTC 2010

On 2010-05-08, Rob <nomail at example.com> wrote:
> John Hasler <jhasler at newsguy.com> wrote:
>> Rob writes:
>>> I think ntpd has a good number of features and advantages...
>>
>> Why not add those features and advantages to Chrony?
>
> Because I have good experience with ntpd.
>
>>> ...I only wonder why nobody has yet decided to take the code and
>>> fork...
>>
>> Because you haven't done it.
>
> Maybe the chrony people should have started with a fork from ntpd.
> Then I would probably be using it now.

I doubt it. chrony was largely written by one person, Richard Curnow.
His philosophy on how to control clocks was completely different from
Mill's and has been shown to work much better. It has now been taken
over by a small group with M Lichvar contributing most to the
development. It is a well developed program, different from ntpd in many
many ways, and experimentally much better in many many ways. It needs
theoretical work (eg are there conditions in which it becomes unstable?
Are there conditions under which it performes worse than a simply
Markovian feedback device that ntpd uses? Are there conditions in which
the clock filter algorithm of ntpd might be useful, and how can one
recognize them automatically. etc) and implimentational ideas.

But as to you using it, I have no idea why, if it were called a fork of
ntpd you would be more likely to use it.