[ntp:questions] nmea and initial large offset

Rob nomail at example.com
Sun May 9 17:09:56 UTC 2010

unruh <unruh at wormhole.physics.ubc.ca> wrote:
>> Maybe the chrony people should have started with a fork from ntpd.
>> Then I would probably be using it now.
>
> I doubt it. chrony was largely written by one person, Richard Curnow.
> His philosophy on how to control clocks was completely different from
> Mill's and has been shown to work much better. It has now been taken
> over by a small group with M Lichvar contributing most to the
> development. It is a well developed program, different from ntpd in many
> many ways, and experimentally much better in many many ways. It needs
> theoretical work (eg are there conditions in which it becomes unstable?
> Are there conditions under which it performes worse than a simply
> Markovian feedback device that ntpd uses? Are there conditions in which
> the clock filter algorithm of ntpd might be useful, and how can one
> recognize them automatically. etc) and implimentational ideas.
>
> But as to you using it, I have no idea why, if it were called a fork of
> ntpd you would be more likely to use it.

I have heard that it does not support local reference clocks.
I have a DCF-77 receiver and a GPS receiver which is interfaced via gpsd.
My understanding is that chrony cannot use those, and uses only other
servers via the network.
That is not very useful for me.
When it had started as a fork from ntpd, this issue would probably not
exist (because ntpd supports both my local reference clocks).